Thursday, September 8, 2011

Jobs. Jobs, jobs, jobs, jobs, jobs, jobs, jobs. And America. Jobs.

Funny thing, actually.  I think we're beginning to get the point.  Which increases our effectiveness, which results in improved innovation, which means more jobs for Americans.

See?  Easy.

We spent a fair amount of time yesterday on the topic of how to pitch an idea in Government.  Ideas can come in many forms, but as scientists, advice on a policy is likely to have to do with the ramifications of some action.  The idea could be something as simple as "If you do X, Y will happen." or "If you don't do Z, North Carolina will explode."  Stuff like that.  But, of course, sometimes the fact that Y will happen or North Carolina will explode are not sufficiently compelling on their own.  Which is why you have to take it home, with expressions like:

  • "Jobs"
  • "Jobs and Innovation"
  • "Decent, hardworking [something something]"
  • "Think of the children."
  • and "Jobs and innovation for decent, hardworking children."
It really doesn't matter much.  The point is it has to resonate.  So, if you're a scientist with important news, make sure to attach it to the bottom line, like "If you do X, Y will happen, which will result in fewer jobs for decent, hardworking Americans."  Or, "If you don't do Z, North Carolina will explode, resulting in the loss of thousands of decent, hardworking jobs and children."  Or something.  I mean, it will depend on the data, I suppose, but you get my point.

So, tonight, President Obama announced his Jobs Bill.  Two things about this struck me:

First, the catchphrase: "Pass this bill".  Said in many different ways, with different inflections.  And legislative action on bills was exactly what I was writing a blog entry about before this speech caught my attention.  Which isn't ironic at all, since I'm in Washington, D.C., Congress is in session, and that's pretty much all that is done around here.  But I like the catchphrase.  It works, and as we were (also) told in our pitching practice, repetition is everything.  Also, budget is policy, but I'll talk about that some other time.  And I'll post the blog about bills later, because it's kind of funny, and sort of interesting, in a way that's probably not very interesting.

Not the President.
Second, the fact that it's a "Jobs Bill" really just strips things down to the basics, which is that people are terrified of not being able to find work.  (I thought this was a funny name when the False President Mitchell in the film "Dave" (played by Kevin Kline) got in front of a Joint Session of Congress to announce a "Jobs Bill", saying that the Federal Government will immediately make sure that anyone who wants a job can get one, which I seem to recall seemed less lunatic at the time then than it does now, but that could be due to the change in National confidence, or due to the fact that I was a teenager when that film came out.)  So, now we have a jobs bill, or rather will have a jobs bill.


I haven't read the bill.  I have only read the speech.  What I wonder, though, is whether it is plausible that the bill can arrange the cost-cutting that the President says it has and that the debt ceiling deal requires.  After all, there's something for intransigent types on both sides to hate: It has Medicare reform and taxes on the wealthy.  Although I did like the bit when, pointing out that the bill includes a cut in payroll taxes for wage-earners, the President noted:
"I know some of you have sworn oaths to never raise any taxes on anyone for as long as you live. Now is not the time to carve out an exception and raise middle-class taxes, which is why you should pass this bill right away."
Classy!  I really like the "you should pass this bill right away."  Again, repetition.  It's sort of the Jedi Mind Trick of politics.  "These aren't the tax cuts you're looking for.  You should pass this bill without delay."

Nonetheless, it's a chance for some excitement, because (a) it has a sort of kick-ass tone to it that asserts that action is possible and failure to act is irresponsible, (b) he called out the "political circus", which is what it was, (c) it's at the same time somewhat conciliatory, suggesting not only is this problem bipartisan but also that the solution is too, (d) the immediate Republican response was also slightly conciliatory, suggesting that the seeming-dormant spirit of compromise may be emerging from its slumber, and (e) it has the promise of an actual, coherent plan that includes infrastructure investment and education funding, which are desperately, desperately needed, regardless of what you call them.

Disclosure: I actually didn't really realize what time the speech was.  How would I know? I was in talks all day, didn't really have time to look at the Internet, and I don't watch TV.  I wanted to catch it, but didn't get around to finding a time.  I sort-of figure everything always starts at 8, either AM or PM, but that's clearly only right sometimes.  In this case, while the President was speaking, I was at the gym, and people were talking about all the crazy traffic and what a nightmare it was from the security, stopping cars and so on... because the Capital Building is TWO BLOCKS FROM MY GYM. Oh, and a bunch of dudes running on treadmills kept cheering and clapping, cause, y'know.

So, I guess we'll see what the bill ends up looking like.  And I'll know that whenever everyone else does.

Unless my roommate in Commerce gives me a sneak preview.

No comments:

Post a Comment